Popular shopkeeper and sportsman mourned

Just Regional
Mar 3, 2022 3 mins read

Well-known Aylsham shopkeeper and sportsman Bryan Bush has died aged 75.

Bryan was a popular figure through running the family butcher’s and fish and chip shops in Red Lion Street, and from playing football, darts, tennis, squash and golf.

His younger brother Mike said the family had been warmed by tributes to Bryan which reflected his character as a “private but popular man, who was a gentleman, well-liked and had a lovely personality.”

A funeral service for Bryan is being held at St Michael’s parish church on Friday March 18 at 3pm.

Bryan was born on February 8 1947 in a maternity home in West Norfolk, where he and his mother Joy were marooned for a while due to deep snow. He returned to the family residence at 24 Red Lion Street, which was to be his home for his entire life.

He went to St Michael’s Primary School and was one of the first intake at the new Aylsham Secondary Modern in the late 1950s. He also sang in the church choir and did bell ringing as a child and was a patrol leader for 1st Aylsham Scouts where he enjoyed camping trips in the UK and abroad.

Before joining the family business he trained with R S Bakers butchery business, which included making motorbike journeys to Dereham, with newspapers stuffed inside his waterproofs to keep him warm.

Bryan took over the family business in 1988, mostly working in the butcher’s shop but also helping in the chippy on Saturday nights.

He never married and when he wasn’t working he enjoyed playing sport, including football for Aylsham Sunday, where he was proud to reach a cup final at Carrow Road, playing right back.

Bryan retired in 2016, and enjoyed watching the St Giles cricket team on the recreation ground and supporting the town football club at Youngs Park where his nephew Tom, Mike’s son, plays.

He was keen and skilled golfer, getting down to a single figure handicap at Royal Cromer, where he had been a member since 1980. Bryan was committed to practice and had a daily ritual of either swinging his club on the lawn or putting indoors.

Bryan also played tennis and squash locally, captained the darts teams at the Red Lion, Stonemasons and Unicorn, enjoying a pint and chalking up trophies and successes, and was still throwing arrows on his 75th birthday two weeks before his death.

He died in the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on February 22, after a sudden recurrence of cancer, which he had suffered from twice before.

Bryan in his footballing days – fourth from left back row.

Bryan receiving a darts trophy from Stonemasons landlord Jock Cairncross

More of what's happening in the News