Wroxham

Archive dream becomes reality for Guiding

Just Regional
Mar 10, 2016 2 mins read

Work has started to create a Girlguiding archive centre in Coltishall.
Girlguiding first came to Norfolk in 1915 and for many years the organisation has wanted to find a permanent home for its vast archive.
The unique collection, dating back to 1911, contains elements of genealogy, social history, photos, log books, paperwork and badges which reflect the history of women across the county, their changing past times and personal stories.
The archive has been in storage for many years with the ultimate aim of building a centre that would allow the resources to be accessible to all members of Guiding and used as a piece of living history. That dream has now become a reality with work starting on building the Girlguiding Norfolk Archive Resource Centre (ARC).
As well as mementos showing long-standing links with the Royal family the archive also contains legacies from well-known former local members including Beryl Cozens-Hardy OBE who was County Commissioner from 1958-1960 and went on to be the Chairman of the World Association of Girl Guide and Girl Scouts (WAGGS) overseeing a global membership of more than seven million.
The ARC is to be built on land owned by Girlguiding Norfolk adjacent to Patterson Lodge, the county’s Activity Centre, in Coltishall.
It will be a self-contained pre-fabricated building with storage space for archive boxes, a multi-use activity room, office and kitchen.
The building will cost about £190,000 with the majority having already been raised through donations and generous legacies from past members.
To make up the rest, the county’s 8,000 strong membership have been tasked with raising £5 each. There is, of course, a badge available for when they complete it.
Former County Archivist and volunteer guider Kit Tranter says: “We are a youth movement, run and lead by women and the archive is a window onto the role of women in our society over time and a vehicle by which the next generation can enjoy, learn and be inspired to greater things by looking at their own past.”
Pictured above is the turf cutting of the new building on March 1 by the current County Commissioner Pat Pinnington, who has been a member of guiding for more than 50 years.
An official opening of the ARC will be in June in which a number of new members and long serving volunteers will be attending.

Guides 1654

More of what's happening in Wroxham